Tuesday 26 June 2012

The draw of adrenaline

Another week flew by and I was a good girl and didn´t take the Friday off this week!  This week the children started to listen to me a tiny bit more, I spoke more Spanish and experienced my first earthquake siren.  Here´s a few pictures of the life I´m currently leading, well, for 4 more days anyway......


My house.
My cosy little bedroom.
Jorge, Lorena and Mariela -
my Costa Rican family.
The outside area at the centre where I work.
Interactive 1 - the class
where I work.
The children in my class.  They may look cute,
but they are very naughty!

This weekend saw a return to the beautiful lush, green cloud forests of Monteverde.  When Jo, Amy and I were here last time I really wanted to do another canopy tour.  Amy wasn´t keen, as her and I had already done one in Panama and Jo was scared of heights so was a definite NO!  However, the draw of being able to fly through the air like ´Superman´was enough for me to want to do it again!!  Its amazing what things adrenaline makes you want to do!

So, Anthony, Adrienne (two other volunteers) and I jumped on the bus Saturday morning, arrived before lunch in Monteverde and after some long debating, decided on the canopy tour with ´Adventura´, a company with 11 cables, one where you can fly like superman, one abseil (which turned out to be more like a very short fireman pole drop) and a 54 metre tarzan swing.  I was not enamored with the tarzan swing or the abseiling, but was desperate to do the superman cable.

It didn´t disappoint and although it was pretty scary (I didn´t look down) whizzing along a long, high cable, only attached by ropes from your back, hands and feet free, it was awesome!!  However, the tartzan swing was a whole other story. I did do it, but can´t say that I particulary enjoyed it.  I had my eyes shut, the guys pushed me off and I think my screams could be heard throughout the whole forest!  My stress levels at the bottom caused a panic attack as I was so worked up by the end!  Having laid down and managed to get back to breathing normally, I was proud of myself for doing it, but won´t do anything like that in a hurry again.


Adrienne, me and Anthony all kitted up and
raring to whizz down some cables!
At this point I was still undecided as to
whether to jump or not.
I walked out here with my eyes
shut.  The bridge wobbled A LOT!
This isn`t actually me, but you
get the idea of what I did!
Didn´t have a picture of the superman cable
as the photos were too expensive, so I
decided to draw a little diagram!!


It´s now back to Palmares for 4 final days of work.  Four weeks of volunteering has certainly passed really quickly!

2 comments:

  1. OMG that's high up. You are mad. And your class look angelic - well apart from the little boy on the end who looks like he's got hold of the girl in fronts hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was high up and I certainly won´t be doing anything like that ever again. The child pulling the hair is one of the naughty boys, along with the boy sitting next to her with the huge smile!

    ReplyDelete